[THIN] sticking Windows keys

  • From: Chris Buechler <thinlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:53:56 -0500

hey all,

Ever since upgrading our Neoware 620 thin clients to Neoware version 8.0.1 (WinCE 5.0), we've been having an issue with people's Windows keys getting stuck. i.e. hitting just the 'r' key brings up "this operation not permitted" (locked down users, run box prohibited), the 'e' key brings up Explorer, etc. Sometimes hitting the Windows key 4-5 times fixes it, sometimes it requires a log off of Citrix and log back on, and sometimes it requires restarting the Neoware. The Neoware version we were originally running was mostly 6.0.3 (WinCE 4.0), with a couple older ones around. This was never an issue until upgrading to 8.0.1, and no other changes coincided with that upgrade.

After this Neoware upgrade, I've been migrating users over to a new server farm. To my dismay, the problem continues on the new servers. The old servers are Win2K SP3, Citrix MF XP FR3. The new ones are Server 2003 SP1, Citrix PS 4.0 with all the latest patches. The problem, and the frequency of it, does not change at all between the two server farms, so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it isn't server related at all.

Neoware support claims to have never heard of anybody having such a problem, and cannot replicate it. They suggested turning off sticky keys, which I had already done, but have since checked every user that has the problem. None of them have had sticky keys enabled.

About 95% of our thin client users have Neowares (~200 of them). The last 5% are comprised of Thinstation machines. None of the Thinstation users have reported this issue on either server farm, and I would estimate that nearly all, if not all, of our Neoware users have seen it at some point.

Problem is, I can't replicate it at all. It may take a week or two before a particular user runs into the problem again, which just makes this even worse for my sanity. I'm pulling my hair out on this one, if anybody has any suggestions, it'd be *greatly* appreciated.

Cheers,
-Chris