[THIN] Re: quick question on virtualization platforms

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:09:00 -0700

This sounds fine, but what happens when you hit a peak in production and
more RAM is needed? To quote a wise man, "Virtualize, but don't OVER
Virtualize"

That is, I recommend allocating resources according to what you actually
have and need and not starving RAM, i.e. ballooning, or even oversubscribing
it because if you need it, you need it, that can only lead to problems in my
mind.

Rather than oversubscribe RAM, I would suggest you consolidate applications
into less OS instances and/or go with OS virtualization instead....

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85266