[THIN] Re: processes stuck from non-logged in user

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:09:54 -0700

Rick- what is Commander Australia?

Steve Greenberg

Thin Client Computing

34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453

Scottsdale, AZ 85262

(602) 432-8649

www.thinclient.net

steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Rick Mack
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:39 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: processes stuck from non-logged in user

Hi Evan,

There are a number of situations where this can happen, but quite often it's
the result of an application crashing, leaving ther ssion in a debug state
with open file handles. Process explorer will allow you to kill the process
file handles and then the processes, but you'd have to be a bit desperate
because I've had procexpl crash a server doing this.

A useful preventative measure is to disable drwatson and change system error
mode handling so that errors get logged to the event log instead of into the
user session. That does 2 things for you. An application will just die
cleanly, and rather than getting a helpdesk call from the user with an
unintelligible error message, you'll see the error in the event log. That
allows you to be a lot more proactive about some sorts of application
problems.

The registry settings in question are:

Disable Drwatson

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Aedebug, Value, debugger.
Delete the contents of this value.

You can re-enable drwatson by running drwtsn32 -i.

If you're running lotus notes you'll have the Notes debugger instead of
drwatson. Delete the contents of the value anyway.

Change windows error mode handling (Microsoft Technote 124873)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows, Value, errormode. Set this to
2

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack
Commander Australia

On 6/19/07, Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have run into a situation a few times now where a user is not logged into
a server (per management console and terminal serve manager), yet a slew of
processes for that users still exist in task manager.

The kicker is, I cannot kill those processes with task manager or pskill, no
matter what I try.  Anyone seen this before and have any tips on how I kill
these processes?