[THIN] Re: printing Issues..any ideas?

  • From: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 18:35:41 -0700

Hi Al,

Wow...you always seem to end up cleaning up the mess on these farms you
inherit. But I guess there was a reason for deploying it that way in the
first place.

Can you not remove that mess and add a print server?

When you say the perms are not working, is it that everyone can see the
printers, or that everyone can print to them? If users are still able to
print to them, could the users be in the Power Users or even
Administrators groups? I've seem that before :(

You won't be able to hide the local printers, but just remove the ability
for users to print to them.

For example: If deploying Acrobat Std or Pro you end up with a local Adobe
PDF printer. To secure it so that only users of the "Acrobat Standard
Users" group can print to it, I do the following using the setacl
utility...

Set AcrobatGroup=corp\Acrobat Standard Users
setacl.exe -on "Adobe PDF" -ot prn -actn clear -clr dacl,sacl
setacl.exe -on "Adobe PDF" -ot prn -actn ace -ace "n:administrators;p:full"
setacl.exe -on "Adobe PDF" -ot prn -actn ace -ace "n:%AcrobatGroup%;p:print"

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jeremy.

> Hi All,
>
> I have recently taken over a CPS4.0 farm where some of the apps are
> using locally installed printers on the Win2003 servers and have
> permissions set up on the individual printers. However users using any
> of the apps on the citrix server can see all the locally installed
> printers and even though perms have been set on the printers they for
> some reason are not being applied....any ideas would be great!
>
> Thanks
>
> Al

Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist