[THIN] Re: printer management

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:30:36 +0100

The difficulty with any of this isn't actually "partitioning" lists of
printers.

It's actually defining a rationale or logic you can use and implement
that will facilitate this.

If you have such a rationale already, then you are half there.

> Do any of the 3rd party print management
> solutions help
> with this? Do any of them handle security? Do any of them
> propagate to
> other farm servers for you?
>
> Thanks for the insight.

As an example, when I implemented printer mapping leveraging Active
Directory, and print queues on MSCS clusters, I used the structure of
Active Directory, and used the computer object that the user was
actually logging into, in order to map the appropriate printers.

So that if a user sits at a PC on a certain floor, they get printers
local to that PC, ad infinitum - rather than the more traditional NT
model of using group memberships that define printers to be mapped. I
disliked that old model, because it meant hard-coding the details in
login scripts, rather than actually having the directory be the source
of this information.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.