[THIN] point and print

  • From: Dieter Molle <Dieter.Molle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:04:45 +0100

Hi all,
maybe anyone can give me some input...

the environment is
- 1 farm with 10 Metaframe XPe FR3 servers on Server 2003

my goal is
- to control, which printer drivers are installed on my terminal servers
- to use MF printer driver replication to keep all servers in sync.
- to allow users to map printers from exactly ONE print server
- auto-created printers (and the universal driver) are not a choice

my actual problems are
- users can map printers from ANY print server
- when they map a printer, the driver is installed in the background (that
faboulous windows "point and print" feature installs the drivers under SYSTEM
context, so i cannot use the "prevent users from installing printer drivers"
policy :-(). So i have no control over what drivers come onto my servers.

i found that new "point and print restriction" policy, where i could allow
that feature only on specified servers, but the printers are nevertheless
installed
if a matching driver is found in the drivers.cab.

thanks in advance for your help!
regards,
  Dieter

sorry if that was on the list before but i couldnt find it in the
archive

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.
consulting services you can depend on.
http://www.go-eol.com