[THIN] Re: pc to thin client

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:04:04 -0400

I do the following:

1. I have a RIS CD-based install and answer file that installs as little as
possible of Win2K Pro on a machine.
2. An OU just for thin clients with a group policy set up on it:
        a. Software install to the computer: RDP5 Client, a custom VB app
with two buttons, connect and shutdown
        b. Loopback mode on, in replace mode
        c. Various other restrictions
        d. Startup script: sets up AutoLogon with a service account I have
for this purpose only
        e. "Customer User Interface" GP Setting for user set to my custom VB
app
        f. TS Admins explicitly DENY APPLY GPO in the permissions.

This allows me to, by holding shift on boot, bypass the autologon and log
onto a full desktop on the thin client, so I can set up a shared printer, or
local apps (the VB App allows for some local apps to be loaded, like for a
digi camera or something), and then just reboot it and it goes back to
autologon.

New thin clients are easy to set up: RIS the image down, and then move the
computer into the OU.  All done...

More info available if you need it, just ask.

HTH!

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.