[THIN] page file usage raises up to the limit and then goes down...

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <pignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin. Org (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:43:47 -0400

Hi group,
I have an ongoing problem on my 2 production Citrix MF XPa servers. There
are times when I can see page file usage counter in CMC Load Manager Monitor
going up to the roof causing the server not to accept any connections and
even kicking out users. After some time it goes back to normal. Usually it
is only 1 server at a time so I suspect it has to be somebody doing
something that causes that. The question is what kind of user activity
causes a lot of page file usage and what kind of Performance Monitor
counters can I use (possibly other software to track it down). I would also
appreciate your comments about software and server config in my farm that
may be related to this issue (see specs below).

2 Win 2000 SP3/MF XP FR2 servers
Each server:
2CPU PIII 1.3 GHz 2Gb RAM on Intel SCB2 mainboard and chassis
Intel RAID cont and RAID5 on 3x33Gb HDD
Sys drive is 8gb, apps is 60 Gb
I have 2Gb pagefiles configured on both Sys and 3 Gb pagefile on apps drives
(total 5.1 Gb per server) so I still catch memory dumps and most often OS
uses pagefile on the apps drive (as per MS KB...)
Datastore is Access
Load evaluator is Advanced
Application response optimization is set for "application"

Print drivers are
some Canon BJCs (70, 2100, 4000,4200)
Canon iR5000-6000
Epson form printers FX 1050, LX-286, LQ-870
HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6, 1100, 2100, 4000, 4050, 8100
HP Color laserjet 4500
HP Deskjet 550, 660, 720, 930, 970
Lexmark Optra, T622

Apps installed are:

MS Office 2000
Patient Information system (custom VB/XML application)
Great Plains Dynamics
MS XML parser
FRx reporting tools
Adobe Acrobat
FundVision
Sophos Antivirus
Intel Server Control
Microsoft Debugging tools
etc.

I personally suspect a printer driver issue but I need to narrow the search
to a couple of drivers before starting to eliminate them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems and Network Coordinator
Pembroke General Hospital
Tel. (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
Fax. (613) 732-9986
www.pemgenhos.org

"All that matters is love and work" - Sigmund Freud.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat

This weeks sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
Designed to facilitate efficient resolution of your technical server-based
questions, issues and incidents, technical support is a few mouse-clicks away:
you submit your incident-specific support requests via our online support
helpdesk, our certified engineers resolve them while you monitor the progress,
and your systems get back to 99.9% up-time in no time.
http://www.99point9.com