[THIN] Re: openoffice

  • From: Hans Minnee <h.minnee@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:51:32 +0200

Michael,

I've once installed OpenOffice 2.0 and Microsoft Office 2003 on a environment existing of two 2003 Terminal Servers, so it's possible to implement. It's been a while, but there were a couple of problems to solve: how to configure a default OOo profile, how to set the file associations and to allow MS Office only to certain users. In this situation on TS01 there was only OOo and TS02 there was both OOo and MS Office installed, but only some people were allowed to use MS Office (because of the no. of licenses). All people were allowed to use Outlook (because if you have enough Exchange 2003 CALs you are licensed for Outlook as well). I have only installed english versions on those servers.

I have used Kixtart as a logon script to copy a preconfigured OOo profile to the OOo users (profile become quite big, unfortunately) and to file associations. I used a GPO to set permissions on the MS Office executbales only allowing a security group called "Application Group Office 2003 Terminal Server" to Read/Execute. Below there's a part of Kixtart script to set file associations and to copy the profile. Hope it helps :)

-Hans Minnee-

;    **************************************************************
;    *                                                            *
;    *               Copy OpenOffice.org default profile          *
;    *                                                            *
;    **************************************************************

$APPDATA = ReadValue("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","AppData") $CMDLINE = "XCOPY /E /Q /Y \\FS01\Netlogon\OpenOffice\Profile\*.* " + Chr(34) + $APPDATA + Chr(34) IF NOT EXIST($APPDATA + "\OpenOffice.org2") AND @WKSTA="TS01" OR @WKSTA="TS02"
       SHELL $CMDLINE
   ENDIF

;    **************************************************************
;    *                                                            *
;    *               Set OpenOffice.org file associations         *
;    *                                                            *
;    **************************************************************

   $DOC_ASSOC = READVALUE("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.doc","")
IF NOT INGROUP("Application Group Office 2003 Terminal Server") AND @WKSTA="TS01"
       IF NOT $DOC_ASSOC = "opendocument.WriterDocument.1"
$RESULT = WRITEVALUE("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.doc","","opendocument.WriterDocument.1","REG_SZ") $RESULT = WRITEVALUE("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ppt","","opendocument.ImpressDocument.1","REG_SZ") $RESULT = WRITEVALUE("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.rtf","","opendocument.WriterDocument.1","REG_SZ") $RESULT = WRITEVALUE("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xls","","opendocument.CalcDocument.1","REG_SZ")
       ENDIF
   ELSE
       IF $DOC_ASSOC = "opendocument.WriterDocument.1"
           $RESULT = DELKEY("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.doc")
           $RESULT = DELKEY("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ppt")
           $RESULT = DELKEY("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.rtf")
           $RESULT = DELKEY("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xls")
       ENDIF
   ENDIF

;    **************************************************************
;    *                                                            *
;    *               Create shortcuts based on security           *
;    *               group membership and Terminal Server         *
;    *                                                            *
;    **************************************************************

$DESKTOP = ReadValue("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","Desktop") IF INGROUP("Application Group Office 2003 Terminal Server") AND @WKSTA="TS01"
       DEL $DESKTOP + "\OpenOffice.org Calc.lnk"
       DEL $DESKTOP + "\OpenOffice.org Impress.lnk"
       DEL $DESKTOP + "\OpenOffice.org Writer.lnk"
       COPY "\\FS01\Netlogon\Office2003\*.lnk" $DESKTOP
   ELSE
       DEL $DESKTOP + "\Microsoft Office Excel 2003.lnk"
       DEL $DESKTOP + "\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003.lnk"
       DEL $DESKTOP + "\Microsoft Office Word 2003.lnk"
   ENDIF

IF NOT INGROUP("Application Group Office 2003 Terminal Server") AND @WKSTA="TS01"
       COPY "\\FS01\Netlogon\OpenOffice\Shortcuts\*.lnk" $DESKTOP
   ENDIF

   IF @WKSTA="TS02"
       COPY "\\FS01\Netlogon\OpenOffice\Shortcuts\*.lnk" $DESKTOP
   ENDIF

Dannhorn, Michael SZ/HZA-ITDS2 wrote:
Hi world,
Out IT chief wants to know (on a live test) if it is possible to use MS Office (2003) and Openoffice (newest version) at the same time on a terminal server. We have more than ten WTS 2003 SP1/SP2 servers with Citrix PS4.5 installed for normal desktop use.
And some more on worldwide locations.
Now I have some questions about it?
- It is possible to use both office system on the same server?
I think i have manually control the program extensions to the correct office platform.
- How do I handle the inernationalization?
We are a worldwilde company (up to now we install and use 9 languages (OS and Office programs) on our servers) Does someone have any experiences with opnoffice on Terminal Server? Thanks
Michael
SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com ************************************************ For Archives, RSS, to Unsubscribe, Subscribe or set Digest or Vacation mode use the below link: