[THIN] Re: off subject (upgrading to W2K)

  • From: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:50:21 -0400

Well you have to upgrade the PDC first.  The best way to do this is to
either promote one of your BDC and perform the upgrade on that, or to bring
up another server as a BDC and promote that and upgrade on it.  In either
case, your PDC remains untouched and if your upgrade fails, you can return
to your NT network w/o any trouble.  This pretty much the microsoft
"approved" way of doing an NT4 -> 2K AD UPGRADE.

We did it here and it worked perfectly.  We have only 1 domain with ~250
users, so there was little to go wrong.  When you get into multi domain
environments, things just get a little more tricky, but success rate is
high.