[THIN] Re: off subject - changing domains

  • From: "Brian Murphy" <bem9127@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:46:19 -0600

If I remember correctly this has something to do with the SIDString in:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

When a user logs onto Windows NT Workstation the profile is located by
the users SID.

Moving a user within the same "Forest" struture would not be a problem
because this information is reserved (MoveTree.exe)

However, you are moving from NT 4 Workstation to Windows 2000
Workstation in a different domain.

Not sure if this will work but it's worth a try:
1.  Copy the profile to new profile directory
2.  Export the key stated above
3.  Locate the new key on the Win2k box and copy the key to the users
new SID

In addition, you might try using the AD Migration Tool (Assuming you are
in AD on the Win2k).
This allows you to migrate users and retain the SID History.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/
admt.asp>

Maybe someone else can comment on my suggestions?
I'd be interested to know the end result.

Thanks.