[THIN] Re: new site - virtualise or not

  • From: Pat Coughlin <strangedog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:30:27 -0400

Is it a 64 bit ready app?  That is the real question these days.  If
you need to host it on a 32bit server(s) you need to virtualize to
effeciently use modern hardware.  64 servers can use the whole box,
but you can consider virtualizing for DR and rapid scaling (especially
if you have free capacity in you virtual environment).  I run a mix of
physical and virtual depending on the need.

Patrick Coughlin
Lead Citrix Goon

On 3/19/10, Hamilton, Ronnie <ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Have been asked to look into a new install for around 140-250 users with
> about 70 -100 initially for running an accounts package.
>
> As this is a fresh install with no Citrix on site as yet the question
> has arose if new physical hardware is required should we be looking at
> some form of virtualization for the windows platforms or one box one
> windows server per XenApp server. If virtualization route what would be
> required?
>
> Lots of internal storage ? or SAN ?
>
> thanks
>
> Ronnie
>

> Visit our website : www.ltai.ie
>  __________________________________________
> Lufthansa Technik Airmotive Ireland Limited. Registered in Ireland. Reg. No.
> 45999.   Registered Office: Naas Road, Rathcoole, Co.Dublin.
> Lufthansa Technik Airmotive Ireland Leasing Limited. Registered in Ireland.
> Reg. No. 140891.  Registered Office: Naas Road, Rathcoole, Co.Dublin.
>  __________________________________________
> The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential and may
> be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
> message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender by
> return email. You should not read, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute,
> disclose or use this email or its contents in any way. Any such action is
> strictly prohibited. Thank you.

Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com