[THIN] Re: installed apps v app virtulisation

  • From: Russell Robertson <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:13:46 +0000

Hi Ronnie

Depends on a few things, if you are rolling out XA 6.5 via PVS for instance.

It also depends on the type of app - when we first tried to get Office 2010
streamed using App-V we struggled to make it work properly to the point where
MS recommended  installing Office on the XenApp vDisk.

We've found that installing key apps on the vDisk image was best and then
streaming the rest. Where an app won't work on Server 2008 R2 (or IE8) then use
an old Server 2003/XA 5 farm or use XenDesktop and Windows XP.

If you have 25 apps, try and rank them in difficulty ( as in your experience
with the app and how well or not it's behaved in your current environment)  or
compatibility with Server 2008 R2 and see if you can get the tricky ones to
work. That will give you an indication.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Russell