[THIN] Re: http links to office docs broken after installing IE 8

  • From: Jim Kenzig <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:52:57 -0400

*Replying to my own post but check out this post by Rick Mack back in
February on checking and fixing file associations....*
*Hi Angela,

There are 2 system commands that let you list and change server file
associations. These are:

assoc- associate file extension with file type

Example: C:\assoc .mdi
              .mdi=mdi_auto_file

ftype- associate a file type to an executable

Example: C:\ftype mdi_auto_file
              mdi_auto_file=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OIS.EXE /shellOpen
"%1"*
*In this example I've got Office 2007 installed.

So if you wanted to fix the mdi file association, you'd run:

assoc .mdi=mdi_auto_file
ftype mdi_auto_file=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OIS.EXE /shellOpen "%1"*
*The last command could also be:
ftype mdi_auto_file="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OIS.EXE"
/shellOpen "%1"*
*Doing this on a whole farm isn't too hard if you download the PSTools
utilities http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649.aspx

Copy psexec.exe to c:\windows and try something like this (it's one line):

For /f "skip=3" %i in ('qfarm /load') do psexec \\%i
<file://%25i/>c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c assoc .mdi=mdi_auto_file
& psexec
\\%i <file://%25i/> c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c ftype
mdi_auto_file=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OIS.EXE /shellOpen "%1"

qfarm /load generates a list of on-line servers in your farm. If we read
this list in a FOR look that skips the first 3 lines which are a title,
header etc then we have the names of all the online servers in your farm.

psexec \\servernamecommand <file://servernamecommand/> will execute the
command on the remote server. An & allows us to run two commands using the
same variables on the same command line. If you want to turn this command
into a batch file, remember to replace all the %i with %%i, but don't
replace the %1 with a %%1.

regards,

Rick
--
Ulrich Mack
Quest Software

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:*
*Hi*
*I have deployed Office 2003 SP3 to our dev environment expecting it to
break certain file associations based on article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938813.  I can re-associate TIF by manually
launching MS Office document Imaging on each Citrix Server and reassociating
the extension via Tools/Options.  However it doesn't fix the MDI
associations.*
*Is there an easy way to re-associate MDI to MS Office document Imaging for
all users?  A script that sets both would be great if one exists...*
*Thanks in advance
Ang*
*

Sell your car for just $50. It's simple!
**Jim Kenzig
http://www.kenzig.com*