[THIN] Re: ghosting software

  • From: "Rob Poston" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:16:25 -0700

I worked for a company where we had 4 different server vendors (Dell, IBM,
Compaq, and old HP servers) that all had RAID controllers. The key is to use
Sysprep so that it plugs and plays the h/w drivers after ghosting. If the RAID
drivers for the specific server you are using is not included with Windows 2000
then the trick is to get the drivers on the machine that you are using for the
base so that they will plug and play. We used Symantec Ghosts Enterprise
edition version 7.5.

We had deployed close to 1000 servers this way and were on the way to deploying
another 9000 before I left. The only problem that we had with this was that we
need to create an ACPI image and a non-ACPI image for the older machines
regardless of server vendor.

- Rob