[THIN] Re: friendgreetings.com virus (sort of)

  • From: "John Price" <JPrice@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:33:56 -0500

Just behind you Jim, we were on the same wavelength.

John

>>> JPrice@xxxxxxxx 10/30/02 01:31PM >>>

I've received this three times today already. Here are the details:

http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.asp?ID=13444

It's not really a virus, but a mass mailing application.

You know (and they do too I'm sure) that less than 10% of the people
who get this will not read the terms. One of the terms is listed
below:

"1. Consent to E-Mail Your Contacts. As part of the installation
process, Permissioned Media will access your MicroSoft Outlook(r)
Contacts list and send an e-mail to persons on your Contacts list
inviting them to download FriendGreetings or related products. By
downloading, installing, accessing or using the FriendGreetings, you
authorize Permissioned Media to access your MicroSoft(r) Outlook(r)
Contacts list and to send a personalized e-mail message to persons on
your Contact list. IF YOU DO NOT WANT US TO ACCESS YOUR CONTACT LIST
AND
SEND AN E-MAIL MESSAGE  TO PERSONS ON THAT LIST, DO NOT DOWNLOAD,
INSTALL, ACCESS OR USE FRIENDGREETINGS."

John