[THIN] default search provider being corrupted in IE8

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 09:28:58 +0100

I've got a site where they're looking to roll out IE8 on their W2k3 XenApp
servers

Everything installs and is (relatively) dandy - other than a message for
users about the search engine getting 'corrupted' whenever they log on:

    A Program on your computer has corrupted your default search setting for
Internet Explorer.

    Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search
provider.

    Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change
this setting or install more search providers.

It seems that this is happening because IE8 appears to want
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WIndows\Currentversion\explorer\user shell
folders\appdata to be %USERPROFILE%\appdata - rather than the redirected
value it currently is.

Has anyone come across this and got a "fix"? Or could suggest one? I could
change it from the value it is now to the local profile - but then I've got
to redesign the locked down profile stuff thats going on

Tia.

a.

Gilwood CS Ltd

Registered Office :  3 Cedars Crescent, Sunderland, UK, SR2 7SY. No. 6099397
England