[THIN] Re: cloning servers

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:34:40 -0700

  Sysprep is, indeed, the answer. What you need to do is add the G4's 6i
driver to the Sysprepped image so that when it boots, Windows can install
the driver it needs. I did this exact process - G3 to G4 - a few weeks ago
and it worked like a charm. You have to create a Sysprep.inf file that has
the references to the drivers you're adding, and have those drivers in a
folder below your Sysprep folder. Here's the Sysprep.inf file you'll need:

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    OEMDuplicatorstring=Win2K3 SP0, CPS 4.0, Server Drives Not Remapped
    TimeZone=4
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    FullName="Network Administrator"
    OrgName="Company Name, Inc."
    ComputerName=*

[Display]
    BitsPerPel=16
    Xresolution=1024
    YResolution=768

[LicenseFilePrintData]
    AutoMode=PerSeat

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=GHOST

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Branding]
    BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]
    Proxy_Enable=0
    Use_Same_Proxy=0

[SysprepMassStorage]
PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_B178&SUBSYS_40800E11="%systemdrive%\sysprep\HPRAID\cpqcissm
.inf","\",""Smart Array 5x and 6x Driver Diskette","\TXTSETUP.OEM"

  Put the Sysprep files at c:\sysprep. Put the 6i drivers at
c:\Sysprep\HPRAID. If you can't get it to work, email me offlist and I'll
zip up my Sysprep folder for you, drivers and all. Obviously, you'll want to
modify the sysprep.inf file to use your own company name, product key, etc.
The relevant portion is the '[SysprepMassStorage]' section.
  Here's a link to a Dell white paper I followed to set it up:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/SysPrepSingleImage_Legal_3.5.
04_Final.doc

Jeff Durbin