[THIN] Re: bugcheck

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:35:52 +1300

Cristiano,

We have been fighting a very similar bugcheck (STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000028,
0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x801346E6))on both out production servers.  In our
case we would be lucky to get three days with out a crash on one of other
server (even though we reboot both servers each night via a reboot script).

Our servers are WTS 4.0+sp6 and MF XPe+FR1. In our case the problem ended up
being a Microsoft bug in the OS kernel. The problem was with the code that
manages the page file - it was loosing track of what it had paged and as a
result an application could end up either trying to read back the wrong page
or write to an page already in use by another application resulting in the
BSOD.

The interesting factor was that it ended up being a specific printer driver
that was always involved in the process that "found" the problem and caused
the crash.  This sent us down the wrong path for a while as we tried to sort
out what we though was a printer driver problem when the real problem was
actually in the OS kernel. in our case the problem was with a driver for a
Canon GP215 - but Microsoft did say they were able to recreate the issue
using one of the HP print drivers (sorry don't know which one).

We have been testing a private fix for the problem.  Initially this fix
"found" another Microsoft bug in win32k.sys that caused the server to crash
within a few hours of users logging on in the morning with a  STOP:
0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xA30290CE, 0x00000001, 0x7FFDE034).  we have since
loaded a further private patch for the Win32k.sys bug and have been up for
nearly two weeks without a crash.

We have been told by Microsoft the page file problem does not occur in
Windows 2000 but our stop error is very similar to your own - so I would be
interested to know what the end result is for you - given that we are
looking to migrate our Metaframe servers over to Windows 2000 early next
year.

-Ec