[THIN] Re: booting to san?

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:48:40 -0700

I have a very similar setup as Jo does, HS-20s booting from an IBM FastT
SAN.  Until just recently the only drives available on the HS-20 in it's
stock configuration was IDE, basically the equivilent of a laptop drive.
Although you could mirror them, the redundancy and performance is just
not there.  The drives are obviously not hot swappable, so if one fails
you bring down the server to replace it.  By booting from SAN we have
highly configurable space, redundancy, hot swappable drives, etc..

One recommendation is to never have an OS swap file on your SAN, so
thats a downfall, we put the swap file on the local drive and of course
if it fails your server is going to crash.  We tested putting it on the
SAN and watching port performance on the McData switches, there was
noticable traffic there, but nothing really large.  We still opted to
leave the swap file local though, we just don't want upwards of 100 OS
swap files on the SAN.

IBM has done much better now, before you had to lose one of the internal
drives in order to have an HBA, now you can have 2 SCSI drives internal
as well as an HBA, so booting from the SAN isn't as appealing.

George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.

  _____