[THIN] Re: blades versus VMWARE

  • From: "Shonk, Joe - Perot" <JShonk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:33:18 -0700

Not for MF, well I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board..

VMWare is great for MF.  Considering we have a large number of server and
apps (Think Healthcare/Hospital/HIPAA).  It's a waste of resource to
dedicate two servers to a single application set that is used by 5-10
physicians.  Also, consider that many apps only reside on 1 server because
purchasing a second server is not cost effective.  By sharing physical
resources it become cost effective to load balance those application sets.
So why not install apps all on one server?  For one, different department
own the equipments.  Some of these apps are so flaky that they barely run on
a server all by themselves, let alone with another application.

Benefits:
        MF VMs Not hardware dependent (We have a mix of different server
vendors, models, etc)
        MF VMs can be moved to a different server easily of it require more
resources that the current physical box can provide.
        Introduce Redunancy for application sets that currently reside on a
single server
        Instantly provision a server for urgent group/project.  It's kinda
hard to ghost an image to server/blade if you have an extra one handy.
        Ability to take a live production box and take into the lab for
testing/upgrades
        Taking servers down to periodically make/push down ghost images is
not always feasable in a 24/7 shop.
        Instead of ghosting,  I can bring up a new Citrix server on the same
ESX box.  Test it and when I'm ready to put it in production and replace the
old server running that app all I have to do is change the published app and
sunset the old VM server..  And with no downtime or extra hardware.

Joe