[THIN] Re: blades versus VMWARE

  • From: "Shonk, Joe - Perot" <JShonk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:48:09 -0700

So why not run VMWare on blades?

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Luchette, Jon [mailto:JLuchette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 8:20 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] blades versus VMWARE

Just wanted to get a discussion going on a decision that I am trying to
tackle in terms of MF...  Right now our environment looks like this: seven
MF servers running MF XP FR3 on Windows 2k Server sp4, 2 NFuse servers also
with CSG installed on both running Win2k Advanced Server sp4, and all
servers are Compaq DL 360's (some G1, some G2)  with dual 1ghz processors
and 2gb RAM, we have a SAN now (HP EVA 5000) but are not currently housing
any MF data on it.

Ideally we would be able to install MF on some new blade servers, house the
data on the SAN, and utilize VMWARE as well.  That is not going to happen
here, we just don't have the money for it.  However, we may have the money
for either one OR the other.  All things considered in terms of MF in
particular, which one would you rather have in your data center and why?  I
know they do different things, but when you match those things up against
one another, which one has more advantages?

/jL

Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com

Starting at $199!