[THIN] Re: blades versus VMWARE

  • From: "Luchette, Jon" <JLuchette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:10:55 -0400

Well, I work for a hospital so:

100% uptime is a must.  Even our reboot schedule is set up so that Zero
downtime is needed.
Our core applications are mainly the Office 2k suite, Outlook XP, and our
main HIS app (meditech magic).
We have about 30 users per each of the seven boxes right now.  I would say
that all in all our servers at not near max utilization.
Currently we do not really have any set DR requirements, it is just "get
that server up and get it up fast..."

However we are looking at HP's rapid deployment pack for imaging/restoring
our Citrix boxes, as it supposedly plays nice with remapped drives on MF
boxes whereas some of the other big boys like Ghost and Imagecast do not
necessarily.

That is another thing, we were looking at HP's Blades, and they (HP) kept
using the imaging/restore/DR capabilities of their Blades and their RDP
(rapid deployment kit) as a main selling point for buying Blades, and the
truth is that you can run that utility just as effectively with DL360's as
with Blades!  So when we walked out of there, in our minds all we were left
with as an advantage to Blades with Citrix, was less rack space, and that is
not reason enough for me to convert my entire farm from DL360's to Blades...

I just think where I have a set amount of money that I can spend, either on
Blades or on VMWare, I would think there would be more advantage to going
the VMWare route.  I think this because our main concern is with DR and
rolling out new apps, patches, and hotfixes in the middle of the day without
downtime.  If you think about it, with hardware becoming less and less
expensive, the whole idea behind VMWare goes a long way.