[THIN] Re: blades versus VMWARE

  • From: "Parker, Dennis" <Dennis.Parker@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:32:22 -0700

I'll second this.

My situation is such that I have a fairly small farm (less than 100 users)
but I require 100% uptime (except for nightly reboots and that was a hard
sell).  So, I can't justify having one big box running my Citrix farm even
though it would easily support my user load.  I can justify having several
small servers, like I have now, but that still requires hardware and rack
space and heating and power consumption and...Or I can install several small
servers on a VMWare setup with a bit larger hardware base and install other
servers (DNS, AD, WINS, DHCP and on...) along side my Citrix servers on the
same hardware.  I get the added DR functionality, faster time to deployment
of a new server and all the savings of not having all that hardware to
manage.  Now with Virtual Center, I have one central location for my Console
access (and I can get there remotely) for all my servers.  I have control
over the power switch remotely.  Then there's all the performance graphs for
the manager types.  The alerting capability.  Control over server processes.

Alright, I'll stop rambling now.

Dennis Parker, MCSE, CCA
Senior Systems Analyst
Fiserv EFT
4550 SW Macadam Ave, Ste 100
Portland, Or. 97239
Direct: 503-274-6785
Fax:    503-274-6619

This e-mail is confidential and may well be legally privileged.   If you
have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.   Please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your
system.   Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person.   To do so could violate state and Federal
privacy laws.
Thank you for your cooperation.   Please contact me if you need assistance.