[THIN] Re: Zone Preference and Failover

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:07:17 +0100

One of the previous environments I deployed, I did something similar - replaced
the shell, and although it was written in vbscript, it was run as HTA.

It in effect was a custom "Active Desktop" deployed as a Citrix published
desktop. It was done that way, because that area of the business created an
image of how they would like the desktop to look - as opposed to the
traditional (albeit heavily customised and restricted) Windows 2000 desktop
that was in place already.

As the use of Windows apps was merely partial part of their time / duty, they
felt that a more appliance like desktop would make it more easy to use for the
users, and in turn, would perhaps make them more likely to use it. It had a
good purpose, and design, and there was a section (of the screen / desktop)
that the management team for that area of the business could dynamically update
(with HTML) and place notices, links to documents and other important messages
to users.

In this instance, the issue wasn't so much with lockdown and control, it was
more about functionality and simplicity and appliance-like behaviour for the
users.

Neil

This email and its attachments are confidential and are intended for the above
named recipient only. If this has come to you in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system. You must take no
action based on this, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its
contents to any person or organisation. Statements and opinions contained in
this email may not necessarily represent those of Littlewoods Shop Direct Group
Limited or its subsidiaries. Please note that email communications may be
monitored. The registered office of Littlewoods Shop Direct Group Limited is
1st Floor, Skyways House, Speke Road, Speke, Liverpool, L70 1AB, registered
number 5059352

www.blackspider.com
SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com