[THIN] Zone Data Collector query

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:22:08 +1100

Hi

I need some help with configuring the Zone data Collector roles on my XenApp
6.5 farm.  We have the following:

- 1 XenApp 6.5 farm
- 1 VM Server
- 10 XenApp 6.5 Physical servers spread across 2 sites
- Sites are connected with dual Gig links

Potential design
Site 1 Prod
1 x Dedicated VM Server configured as Controller and Session-host
5 x XenApp 6.5 (Session Host mode only)

Site 2 Prod/BCM
5 x XenApp 6.5 (1 x  Controller and Session-host, 4 x Session Host mode only)

For redundancy I need a Controller server in Site 2.  Should I use one of the
existing Physical servers and configure as Controller and Session-host or
should I create another VM server dedicated for this role?  Is 2 dedicated
servers for a farm of 10 servers overkill? My preference is to use one of the
Physical servers so it will host user sessions and be a controller.  Another
option could be to run all 10 servers in Controller and Session-host  mode or
is this bad practice?

Thanks
Ang