[THIN] Re: XenServer 5.0 Tools/Adobe Acrobat 8.x on a Terminal Server

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 08:36:28 -0500

It's been quite good other than this issue. Right now I would rank the
hypervisors for this task (Citrix/TS) 1. XenServer 2. Hyper-V 3. ESXi
(dedicated) 4. ESX (shared hardware with other VM's of other types).
They are all capable of the task. ESX requires some extra research and
tweaks to compete with the others though.  We use VMWare a lot for
other VM's so I wouldn't have predicted this outcome.  XenServer
performs well, but it's a bit rough around the edges with some
annoying bugs.
Still need to get some hard data on performance vs. the physical, but
I can tell you not 1 user has said whenever I am on VM server X (they
know which server they attach to) it stinks, but when I get on
physical server Y it works much better.  I know there is a holy war
out there to virtualize Citrix or not, but I would say it's worth it
to at least try it. Same arguments about having a bunch of
underutilized physical servers in the non-TS world apply in Citrix now
that hardware is so far past the capabilities of a 32 bit Windows OS.
I also want to test a single 64 bit Terminal Server vs. multiple 32
bit VM's on same hardware, but my gut tells me it won't scale as well
because most of our apps will run 32 bit anyway.
-Matt

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Nick Smith <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cant help with that, but what has the performance been like on the different
> platforms?
>
> Sent from my Windows Mobile® phone.

Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist