[THIN] XenDesktop 7 App Edition / Server 2012 "Fun"

  • From: IT Helpdesk <it@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:14:59 +0000

Hi all,

We're building a new Server 2012 / XenDesktop 7 App Edition server farm with
external access via NetScaler VPX. (We’re sticking with hosted desktops as
we’re using non-windows thin clients so the VDA license cost would be
prohibitive.)

We've decided to go down the route of Citrix Profile Management with Group
Policy Preferences, and a locked down redirected desktop (shortcuts managed
using access based enumeration).

It's going fairly well so far but we're being hit by a few issues...

1.       Horrible Windows 8 / Server 2012 tiles. We’ve found the tiles
replicate the desktop icons after the third logon, but can't find a reason for
this or a way to program them. Has anyone managed to do this?
I think we'll most likely wait for 2012 R2 to get the "start button" and enable
"go to desktop instead of start when I log in".

2.       Product Activation. We’re using MAK codes and when we image servers
using Citrix Studio we have to manually activate Windows and Office. Is there a
way to hard code the MAK codes for activation, or do we need a KMS server?

3.       Receiver 4 for windows is refusing to work with our NetScaler. (The
apple mac client works fine, as does receiver 3). Essentially, we enter our
FQDN and log on, but a dialogue pops up with “Select an account to continue”
with the only option being “Close”.
This post<http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=333352> explains the
issue we have in a bit more detail and this
screenshot<http://forums.citrix.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1625-333352-1750593-46277/CitrixReceiverError.JPG>
 matches the issue. Has anyone managed to resolve this?
We have external DNS set and have installed a wildcard certificate on the
NetScaler.

4.       Very slow logon times. We’re seeing logon times of > 50 seconds. When
we look at the logon performance charts in Director, “Interactive Session” is
generally around 30 seconds alone. We want to streamline this, so any tips on
the best place to start? I have a feeling the CPM may be doing something here.

BM Polyco Ltd Disclaimer
This e-mail and the information it contains are confidential. If you have
received this message in error please notify us immediately. You should not use
or copy it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other party. The
contents of this communication are advisory and are not binding on the Company
unless supported by authorised documentation.
This e-mail has been scanned for content by Websense Hosted Email
Security<http://www.websense.com>