[THIN] Re: XenApp6 Printing Issue??

  • From: Warren Simondson <caditc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:52:01 +1000

Hi Alan

Firstly make sure all you XenApp 6 server have the latest hotfixes from Citrix.
And I really mean
this. Every Citrix hotfix to date seems to change things for the better or
worst. So make sure
you're up to the latest Citrix public patch.

As for Microsoft, see this page for what patch level you should have. Probably
the best hotfix guide
around and is updated regularly:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129229

Second part is more of a question. Is your print server 64 bit, 2008 or other?

Third part, are you using using the session printers policy to allocate
printers to your users? If you
said yes to this, then this is the issue. It doesn't work properly and I've had
no end of issues with
all the XenApp 6 installs I've done. Printers not appearing for users randaomly
is a constant issue.

Then best answer is to use Windows 2008 Group policy instaed to assign the
network printer/s to
the user and then use item-level targeting based on the Terminal Services
policies to align the
printers to the user based on client IP address or Client name. This is how
Citrix Session Printer
Policies work essentially. I use this now to map all printers for users and set
their default printer
based on client IP or username.

There's many articles out there on how to set up Group Policy - printer
policies in Windows 2008
R2 and there some infomration on Item level targeting for Terminal Services. If
you can't find
anything let me know.

--
Warren Simondson