[THIN] Re: XenApp published Application Launch times

  • From: Jeremy Saunders <Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 01:11:27 +0000

Hi Ronnie,

This could be related to several issues.

As Magnus suggested, this is typically due to the Client print mappings that
take place. Published Applications and Desktops are set to “Start this
application without waiting for printers to be created” by default. This
setting can be individually changed within the properties of each Published
Application/Desktop, but it then takes longer for the user to be presented with
the Application/Desktop. The more Client printers that are mapped through, the
longer it takes. As a side note, if the Client printers only require the UPD
(Universal Printer Driver), ensure the policy is set to “Use Universal Driver
Only”. Then it will map the printers immediately using the UPD rather than
requesting a matching driver first. This will assist to speed up the client
printer mapping process and eliminate this perceived freeze/delay.

If you’ve deployed IE7 or IE8 there is a known hotfix as per
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941158.

And of course User Profiles, if you are using those crazy old roaming profiles.
If you have Enterprise or Platinum, use Citrix Profile Management. If you have
Advanced, use Immidio Flex Profiles.

Failing that you can always enable verbose user environment debug logging as
per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833 and track the user login process.
Every item is time stamped, so you’ll see where the delays kick in, which will
hopefully allow you to identify the process.

There are other possibilities too, but that should be enough to assist you.

Cheers,
Jeremy.