[THIN] Re: XA5 x64 and SSLRelay

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:06:04 +0000

The reason you are having resource issues is because the kernel itself is
only a 32bit app, and can only address 4GB of RAM.

There is something called AWE or addresable window extensions. This is how
VMWare, Oracle and sql server use above 4GB of RAM. They do their own memory
management.

I am not in the office this week so don't have access to my files,  but
previously I did sanitise and send out a doc which explained Windows memory
addressing. Does anyone in list have a copy if Webster asks for it?

Berny

On Dec 22, 2009 11:53 AM, "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 New farm since they basically publish Office 2007 and Desktops.  Different
install paths for Office 2007.  Plus having it in a test farm allows them to
thoroughly test everything on x64 and then we can slowly migrate users as we
switch servers over to x64.  They are running Server 2003 x86 Ent with 24GB
of RAM they are experiencing resource issues.  Seems with that much RAM,
Windows is running out of paged-pool memory when they hit 40 to 45 users.
When you look at counters, only 6GB of RAM is in use and the page file isn’t
touched but paged-pool, non-paged pool and one other I can’t remember right
now are all depleted and the system slows to a crawl.  There is a Microsoft
KB about this and it basically says to remove RAM from the system to get it
to 8GB but they can’t do that with these blade servers.  That is why they
are testing 64 bit.

I did check the Trust XML setting and it is checked.

I was also curious how many people actually use SSLRelay?  I was at Citrix
HQ last week and the only person in the room who uses SSLRelay was the guy
who setup this 32-bit farm.  He had to help me setup SSLRelay on the 64-bit
farm because of the SSL cert software he used.  The process to generate and
issue SSL certs was not documented and it took him over an hour to remember
how to do it using OpenSSL.  So I have not found anyone who uses SSLRelay in
production besides this one guy and he uses it on every one of his installs.

Thanks

Webster

*From:* thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On
Behalf Of *Jeremy Saunders
*Subject:* [THIN] Re: XA5 x64 and SSLRelay

  I think you’re doing everything right, but it’s been a while since I’ve
used an SSL relay. I’m ...

*From:* thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On
Behalf Of *Webster

Subject: [THIN] XA5 x64 and SSLRelay

  2 Farms: 1 PS 4.5 32-bit and 1 test 64-bit farm using XA5 x64 on 2003 x64.
On the 32-bit farm ...