[THIN] Re: Wyse Rapport

  • From: "John A. Vorchak" <jvorchak@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:08:08 -0400

I am not certain what the current status is of NetX releasing a CE based
product, but I can say with certainty why that they did not when I was
CIO at NetX -- CE is absolutely the wrong solution for most
environments.  As the Internet becomes more and more invasive into
business, a real browser is necessary, something that CE does not
deliver.  Also, some folks have a need for applications that do not work
well on server-based computing (e.g. Terminal Emulators that you already
have licenses that are bought and paid for and won't work on CE...),
some have a need for fast full color through direct client-server, some
have a need custom applications at the local level, some folks have to
have peripherals or PCI cards, some folks simply want to be able to
migrate their systems whenever needed to whatever they need (NTe -> XPE,
NTe -> Windows 2000, etc.)  CE does not deliver the full functionality
of the Win-32 API and therefore cannot run all applications, support all
standard peripherals, bring just about any print driver down, etc.  CE
is also much less secure than NT Embedded or XP Embedded on many
different levels.  Although some (the dominant CE vendors, e.g. Wyse)
will have you believe that CE is more secure because you don't have the
same access abilities that you ~can~ with NT/XP, it is much less secure
and not included in many sensitive installations due to that fact alone.
NT/XP can be locked down so much if the situation calls for it that it
can be even more limiting than CE, just ask any other of the
profile/policy junkies like me that are on this list.

CE does work very well for some things, don't get me wrong, but
controlling a Coke machine is not the same as a desktop computer OS...

As far as the Altiris product, NetX is delivering Deployment Solution
5.5 with their products last I heard and they are the same products as
Altiris sells direct or through VARs.

p.s. - as Jim would let you know, yes I am always this long winded...
;-)

Good luck,

John Vorchak
Vorchak Software
Custom Windows XP Embedded and
Windows NT Embedded Components and Solutions
jvorchak@xxxxxxxx