[THIN] Re: Wyse Rapport

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:18:54 -0400

I believe that NetX has lowered their price. Don't get me wrong. I like
Neoware also.  I'd reccomend  a stone tablet and an ox and cart to deliver
content before a Wyse though.  : ) If I can save just one person the
aggravation my company and I have been through with that company through my
"opinions" I am a very happy camper.  Maybe it will finally get through to
them that they need to change the way that they do business.

Part Two
Why pay the extra $$$ for a NetX or any other companies client for that
matter...Answer: For the support, knowledge and also ease of management and
customization of images on your unit that they offer. Not to mention the
long term usability of the product.  Yes I consider myself a visionary and a
driving force in the industry.  Understand that Windows NT TS is retired.
W2K TS will be retired soon. Citrix 1.8 is retired. I give XP another year.
How long do you think that you will be able to run TS/Citrix for without
being forced to upgrade to something else?  If you have a client with
nothing but ICA on it, it is going to be useless in a year.  My extra money
I paid for the NetX's which I can put linux, dos or whatever new OS that
comes along  I choose on them is going to make them worth every penny.

There is going to be a HUGE industry shift within the next year when .Net
arrives. Application Delivery via the server is key. Did you notice that
Citrix has gotten out of the "Server" software business and gone into the
Content Delivery Business?  A device that can run any OS and is READY for
the next generation OS makes a whole lot of sense.  I have that now. DO you?

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
http://thethin.net

Maybe you missed the part "Now do I like them...  No!"  I will agree
with you about the T20, and Rapport.  I hate Wise, but unfortunately,
I have to live with the poor decisions other people have made.  I am
sure everyone on this list can agree, that at some point of there
career they two have to fight with crappy software that someone else
has bought and told you to make work because you already have it.

I really like The Neoware, not only because of the management piece
but because of the price.  They are way cheaper.  Isn't it always
about saving money.  So why buy a thin client that has only been on
the market a year or so that cost 800+ dollars and uses someone
else's management piece? If the Altiris client can manage "almost
EVERY workstation and device (pocket pc's even) on your network" then
why pay and extra $500 for the NetX.

I know that everybody has opinions and you are very happy with the
NetX and it obviously fits your environment.  You just have to
remember that your opinions weight very heavy on other people.  It
just always seems that when someone has a problem with another
product the first thing we can expect is a NetX ad.

I did listen to your advise and called them and wanted to buy 100
boxes but they were way to $$ for me.  As for future purchases we
will go with NeoWare.

P.S.

Thanks for keeping this board open, and allowing us to freely vent
our opinions.

Paul