[THIN] Re: Wireshark analysis for pay

  • From: Pat Coughlin <strangedog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:47:17 -0400

The device causing the erros is not really the issue.  The Wyse "thin
OS" network stack is very small and very RFC compliant (think BSD).
It does not respond well to some network issues that windows
blissfully ignore.  I worked with Wyse a few years ago on an issue
where a flapping fiber link was causing an entire building to
"Connection Reset" on the TCs but leaving the windows PCs untouched.
It turn out that we were receiving a single "destination unreachable"
packet for the second that it took for the fiber link to reset.
Windows ignored the packet and the Wyse terminals ended the
connection.  The fix for this issue is included in the modern firmware
(and we got our network fixed as well).  Although we eventually
convinced Wyse to make a change in the firmware, the real issue is
that the Wyse terminal was responding correctly per RFC to an event on
the network.  That being said, if you experience the "Connection
Reset" issue check your Wireshark and you likely find your smoking
gun.

Patrick Coughlin
Citrix Goon and Wyse Guy