[THIN] Re: Windows clients

  • From: "Sam Johnston" <samj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 00:58:06 +0100

The beauty of ThinStation, PXES et al is that they rarely need to be
touched... document your configuration (including setserial etc.) and
your replacement should have no problem doing updates; I've a site in
Sydney that's still using PXES from 4-5 years ago!

As for rdesktop, it was written by a friend of mine from college at
UNSW... a polish guy who I believe was all of 16 at the time and who
went on to become a Samba team member. He's a programming wizard,
which is reflected in the quality of the software. The fact it's used
by Access Gateway's kiosk mode is also a good sign.

Sam

--
Sam Johnston (http://citrite.org/blogs/samj/)
Escalation Engineer

On 10/4/06, Joanne Determann <joanne.determann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jim,  I'm playing away with Bart.

That's why the DOS clients were great.

And I love the SourceForge Thinstation because they can't do anything to
them. But by the same token it's really difficult to tweak em.  I made it so
 the lower level tech (without Linux knowledge) can xcopy from DOS to the
Hard drive and use syslinux to  linux boot. But I've been fighting with the
com port redirection. The ports redirect with the rdesktop  but the baud
rate needs to be set before connecting and with no Linux smarts no way will
they be able to support  it when I leave.

Moving to Sidney Ohio, husband's company is relocating him. . I'll be
looking for a jobby job down there in Buckeye land and don't want to leave
em with a mess up here in Canada. May as well get in, in case anyone it
looks for a support tech.

Joanne

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 1:20 PM To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [THIN] Re: Windows clients

And the cool thing is that you could put it on a bootable CD and just boot
the workstation to CD.  There is no way that they could muck it up then!!

Jim

Joanne Determann <joanne.> wrote:

Thanks, Jim. BartPE looks promising!