[THIN] Re: Windows Explorer Tools Menu

  • From: "Jim Kerr" <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:45:53 -0500

You can try this Brian.  It disables items in the tools menu.

System USER Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer Remove Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive At least Microsoft Windows 2000 Prevents users from using Windows Explorer or My Network Places to map or disconnect network drives. If you enable this setting, the system removes the Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive commands from the toolbar and Tools menus in Windows Explorer and My Network Places and from menus that appear when you right-click the Windows Explorer or My Network Places icons. It also removes the Add Network Place option from My Network Places. This setting does not prevent users from connecting to another computer by typing the name of a shared folder in the Run dialog box. Note: This setting was documented incorrectly on the Explain tab in Group Policy for Windows 2000. The Explain tab states incorrectly that this setting prevents users from connecting and disconnecting drives. Note: It is a requirement for third-party applications with Windows 2000 or later certification to adhere to this setting. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer!NoNetConnectDisconnect

System USER Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer Removes the Folder Options menu item from the Tools menu At least Microsoft Windows 2000 Removes the Folder Options item from all Windows Explorer menus and removes the Folder Options item from Control Panel. As a result, users cannot use the Folder Options dialog box. The Folder Options dialog box lets users set many properties of Windows Explorer, such as Active Desktop, Web view, Offline Files, hidden system files, and file types. Also, see the Enable Active Desktop setting in User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop and the Prohibit user configuration of Offline Files setting in User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer!NoFolderOptions