[THIN] Re: Windows 7 Isn't going to be much different than Vista

  • From: Douglas Brown <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:38:42 -0400

I have a problem with Google apps and it is around security and privacy.  I
don't know if I want to put my corp. data or my personal data in the hands
of the kings on indexing and then have them use it to market to me or worse.
What keeps Google from using that info that way or in a worse way?

I read a very disturbing booked called "IBM and the Holocaust" where Nazi
Germany used the info IBM collected to kill people based on their blood.
Nothing worse than that and I know this sounds funny and way off base but I
bet it sounded the same in 1929 when they did they last census before Hitler
started using the data for bad.

Google has already shown they will bend over to China and give names to the
Chinese Govt. and I bet those people (the names) are not so well off at the
moment and maybe not so far off from the fate of what was used in Germany in
the 30's and early 40's...  This is a slippery slope and I don't trust
Google one bit.  You can have the mantra, "Do no evil" but their China
policy already shows they have the ability to partner with Evil.

So, that being said, I don't trust it... But, they do create some killer
software... But I will keep my business docs and personal docs on my network
not with the king of indexing..

Also, I know this sounds far fetched but did Bush not ask Google for search
results?  And of course if you have nothing to hide then what is the
problem?    It is a slippery slope and has the ability to be used in a VERY
bad away.

My wife does not agree... But I think a lot of people did not know what
would happen before it happened.  That is why the EU has such tight privacy
policies...  They have seen what info in the hands of "indexers" will do.
It happened 3 times in Europe in the 1900s...

Also,  I actually did not come up with all this by myself.  They had this
discussion on the Cranky Geeks (www.crakygeeks.com) and amazing video
podcast show...  I highly recommend it.  It  is an awesome show...

Am I losing it or does anyone see any validity do my argument?

On Fri, May 30, 2008
> at 4:07 PM, Doug Rooney <Doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:Doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

Ubuntu for workstations,
> CentOS for servers, works for us J

Thank You
-Doug Rooney
 Sonoma
> Tilemakers
 IT Systems Administrator
 7750 Bell Rd.
 Windsor Ca, 95492

> (707) 837-8177 X11
 (707) 837-9472 FAX
 it@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, May 30, 2008

As I said a few weeks ago on the Windows 2000 list .. start learning Vista

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/eight_things_about_w

 --
 Jim Kenzig
 Microsoft MVP -
> Windows Server Presentation and Hosted Desktop Virtualization
 Citrix
 Blog: http://www.techblink.com