[THIN] Re: Windows 2008 Printing enhancements for Citrix

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:11:49 -0400

Funny you should ask this There was a slide in the virtual event yesterday
that addressed this. It really was a great forum.  Here are the bullet
points

*New UPD Driver based on XMP Paper Specification (XPS)
*Functionally the same as existing EMF UPD
*Requires client to support .Net 3.0 (XP, Vista, W2K3, W2K8)
*Non-Windows Clients still use PCL- or Postscript- based UPD
*Use of XPS is Automated
*EMF is preferred UPD method (XPS is NOT default)
*If EMF not supported and user device has .NET 3.0 installed, XPS will be
used
*If neither occurs fallback occurs to PCL5c then PCL4 then Postscript

So basically the answer is not necessarily.  However this chart does NOT
include Microsofts enhancements to printing in the 2008/Vista engine which
are greatly improved.

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com