[THIN] Re: Windows 2003 and Office XP Licensing

  • From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:12:31 -0500

In a sense, Office XP is licensed from Microsoft on a per user basis.
However, with that being said, the program installs on a per device
basis.  When installing it on TS, you are right...you can access it from
any station that has a TSCAL.  Metering software allows you to stay
within the letter of the law.  Merely stated, you are only going to
allow as many users to access those programs as you have licenses for.
Microsoft doesn't like Metering software, but it is a heck of a lot
better than installing one copy of Office XP for 100 users.  It is far
better to have a software metering package that logs, keeps track, and
limits user usage.  If you call and ask Microsoft, they will tell you
Office is licensed on a per user basis (If it was per device, than by
law you would only need one copy for your TS application regardless if
the number of users accessing it.  Also, in my dealings with Microsoft's
licensing dept., I have noticed they have a propensity to change their
mind from time to time.  We just found out that in TS applications, only
the File Server needs file sharing CALs.  Before Microsoft insisted that
every server accessed by users must have the appropriate file sharing
CALs for the user pop.  That is ridiculous...thus they have changed
their tune).  Metering software gives you the ability to curtail the
number of licenses you purchase.  Thus, instead of buying 100 XP Office
licenses, you could get by purchasing 35 or so.  You will notice that
not every user has every application open all day long.  Usually you
have several users using Excel, some using Word and so on.  It is legal
and cost effective...and due to the logging and user restriction you are
covering yourself from any potential legal quandaries.

Respectfully,

Lucas W. Boyken
Computer Systems Associates
Account Manager / Technical Representative
lboyken@xxxxxxxxx
Company Phone:  800.222.7601
Office Phone:  515.332.2751