[THIN] Re: Windows 2003 and Office XP Licensing

  • From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:31:31 -0500

We had similar questions on a recent install of 2000 TS (before 2003 was =
available).  In our discussions with Microsoft we were told that we need =
a license available for each user that would be using that product.  =
I.E. we needed to have licenses available for each instance of an office =
product running on our TS server.  Instead of buying a license for every =
single employee at this company (this wasn't feasable or cost =
effective), we elected to use Metering software.  You will often hear me =
tout Metrix Express Metering software.  It works like a library, you =
check in and out licenses for the specfic program you want.  Your user =
population is limited to the number of licenses avaible through the =
metering software.  If you have 20 licenses, all in use, the 21 user is =
asked to wait for the next available license to be free.  You can also =
set this software up for certain individuals to have priority or VIP =
status, thus giving them a license from someone else.  Also, the =
reporting in this software is great.  At the end of the day, Microsoft =
wants you to buy more than you need to by law.  Metering software, =
regardless if it is Metrix or not, will help you use the law to your =
advantage.  I suggest you look into it.

Respectfully,

Lucas W. Boyken
Computer Systems Associates
Account Manager / Technical Representative
lboyken@xxxxxxxxx
Company Phone:  800.222.7601
Office Phone:  515.332.2751