[THIN] Windows 2003 and Office XP Licensing

  • From: "Selinger, Stephen" <SSelinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:08:47 -0600

Good Morning,
I understand that Windows 2003 has per user TS CAL licensing which seems
like a great thing if you have users who will access your terminal servers
from more then one device.  Now what happens if the users want to use
Microsoft Office from multiple devices.  Is Microsoft Office XP in a Windows
2003 per user terminal services environment still licensed on a per device
basis or can it be licensed on a per use basis similar to TS CALS.  For
example I have a worker who works from home but occasionally needs to use
Microsoft Office when he is at an Internet café.  Do I have to purchase a
office license for each device at the Internet café.  Maybe I am missing
something but why would Microsoft license TS CALS on a per user basis but
only license office on a per device basis. I apologize if this was a dumb
question.

Stephen

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130