[THIN] Re: Windows 2003 Terminal Server performance tips for IE?

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:35:57 +1200

The profile does not travel over the 56k link is not a factor  - I do agree
that a 50mb  ROAMING profile is far too big - but I'm not sure if Rosemary
is talking about roaming profiles anyway ....

The real problem, I believe is the perceived performance of IE run on a
terminal server by a client on a 56k link.  From personal experience that
can be painful!  Not too much that can be done as it is mainly an issue of
the screen re-draw on the client.  Largely this is dependent on the
specifics of the particular websites the client is visiting - lots of nice
graphics (particularly animations) = very poor performance for the client.

Forcing off-screen composition in IE will help a little.  If your clients
are visiting the same websites regularly setting a reasonable size bitmap
cache on the client could help (again it all comes down to what the website
is doing) and would be worth testing within your environment (start with a
5-10mb cache and test it to see how it goes.  Reducing the colour depth and
resolution might help as well (anything to reduce the amount of data that
must travel over the 56k link.

What type of link is this anyway? Is there any money available to "fix"
this? I seem to recall a recent  thread on one of the mail lists I'm on (may
have even been this one) about some new devices that dramatically improved
data transfer over slow links.  Can't recall the specifics but it involved a
form of "intelligent cache" that minimised the amount of data that had to
travel across the wire.  Someone may recall more details?

Good luck ...

-Ec