[THIN] Re: Windows 2000, Outlook (and Crystal Reports)

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:08:42 -0500

>It's not Outlook, specifically. It's MAPI. If a MAPI compliant app is
already running
>(Outlook, Eudora etc) the app will use the running MAPI server to send
mail. If no MAPI
>app is running, Windows will ask you to select a MAPI profile before
continuing/ I agree
>that if only a single profile is available, that should be used by
default. Perhaps it's
>a security thing to try to avoid apps quietly sending mail with no
evidence left behind.

When I asked Microsoft about it, they acknowledged it's a bug (in fact,
they didn't even charge my credit card!), not a design feature.

I agree this could happen with app that uses MAPI. It just happens to be
Outlook in this case. But not Outlook Express, which is what my boss
wants us to switch to unless we can find a painless workaround for using
Outlook (painless = something that can be automated so the user isn't
bothered).
This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online
Essential Thin Client Utilities.
Meet Jim Kenzig of thethin.net at the Emergent Online
Booth #24 at Citrix iForum on October 13th.
http://www.go-eol.com