[THIN] Re: WinNT TS users need personal file folders

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:32:47 -0700

Hidecalc runs on the server, not on the client machine.  Only need to run
it once per server.  Wordpad/notepad/IE6 settings can be configured via
policies (or the equivalent reg entries they create).  For Notes, IBM has
install/config guides listed on its website.  We use v5 here and I found
the info on their site.  Easier to say than to find.

When I do SET on my server, I see a variable called APPDATA.  This is where
some of my apps default to.

adam

                      JTrainer@xxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 To:       thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      thin-bounce@freel        cc:

                      ists.org                 Subject:  [THIN] Re: WinNT TS
users need personal file folders

                      11/24/2003 11:36

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      thin

Thanks for your reply.

If I am not mistaken (though I may be since I can't seem to find the
Hidecalc utility on the website), that utility is used to calculate a
bitwise parametric number which is then inserted into the Registry. While
this is useful, it still means that I will have to insert this value
manually into the registry over 750 times (250+ users on 3 servers). Is
there any more... automatic or wider sweeping way to do this instead?

As for the applications which will be used by the clients, here they are:
* Internet Explorer 6
* Lotus Notes 4
* Notepad
* Wordpad

Are there any tools for these particular applications to get them to save
to the user's home directory?

Furthermore, the SET command produces nothing that jumps out as part of the
problem.

Your assistance is most appreciated.

John W. Trainer IV
MIS Department
United Refrigeration, Inc.

jtrainer@xxxxxxx

   Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   g                               To:        thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Sent by:                        cc:
   thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx         Subject:        [THIN] Re: WinNT TS
   rg                      users need personal file folders

   11/24/2003 12:44 PM
   Please respond to thin

Yes to all.  Grab the utility called Hidecalc from thethin.net website.  It
will let you hide the drives.  As for changing the save directory, depends
on the app.  Chances are it is being picked up from the default profile.
If using Office, you can use the Office resource kit (and other tools) to
change the default settings.
Sorry I can't be more specific.  Just for grins, go to a command prompt and
run the SET command.  You may have an environment variable defaulting the
save path to the C: drive.

adam

                     JTrainer@xxxxxxx

                     Sent by:                 To:       thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                     thin-bounce@freel        cc:       bbivenour@xxxxxxx

                     ists.org                 Subject:  [THIN] WinNT TS
users need personal file folders

                     11/24/2003 10:20

                     AM

                     Please respond to

                     thin

Hello,

Perhaps this issue has been sent here before and answered, but my search of
the archives turned up nothing. If this has already been answered, please
point me in the direction of the appropriate archive item(s).

Our TS users, now using the Internet and E-Mail and receiving files from
these resources, desperately need a way to safely and easily save those
files for use. The system in place now provides a home directory on a
separate server which is mapped to a drive letter (U:). However, our
security policies lock out the ability to see ANY drives in My Computer. We
want to keep this, except for the U: drive. Is there a way to JUST allow
the U: drive to be displayed in My Computer in a way that this can be done
for over 250 users?

The other issue is default save-to folders. Right now, if a user were to
save a file, the servers default to their own C:\WTSRV folder. Can this be
changed to U:\, again, in a way that it can be done for over 250 users?

I know I can do it one user at a time, but for the number of users we have,
multiplied by the number of load-balancing TS servers we use, this is not a
very good choice.

I appreciate your help!

John W. Trainer IV
MIS Department
United Refrigeration, Inc.

jtrainer@xxxxxxx

This Week's Sponsor - ThinPrint .Print Server Engine
Thinprint can help you save money, protect resources,
simplify administration, save time and increase
flexibility by solving all of your printing needs.
http://www.thinprint.com