[THIN] Re: Win 2012R2 RDS, Group Policy and folder redirection errors

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:36:02 -0400

So I have an update to my situation. Full disclaimer - I had a bunch
of things not properly set for my RDS environment - I didn't have a
GPO with Loopback Processing set;  I needed to fix folder redirection
when users logged into RDS servers; I needed to disable Protected Mode
and Enhanced Security on my Adobe Reader XI installation, etc. I still
have issues with locally connected USB printers.  But the big thing
was:

This app generates PDF forms, and uses Adobe Reader to display and
print them. 99.9% of the time, you'd choose these forms, Reader would
immediately pop up, respond normally. Scroll quickly, print quickly,
etc. For one specific form - one (1) - it would take 5-10 minutes for
Reader to come up. The app would even say "Not responding". Once it
did come up, it would display normally, scroll quickly, print fine.

This is what my users described as "Printing doesn't work in RDS!". I
was told we may have to back-rev to the earlier version of Reader we
used, when we ran the app under Citrix. i was told we might have to
move back to Citrix, since the app didn't work properly under RDS,
vendor assurances to the contrary.

Being the brain dead moron that I am, I said "I think more likely that
it's a problem with that one specific form ...". So they finally got
the vendor to dig more deeply into the problem (after their first

And lo and behold, this morning I get an email ..

"The vendor has a process that captures signatures from the handhelds
scanners while generating the inspection forms.  We do not use that
signature function on the handhelds.  Thus, the fields are blank.  The
process times out awaiting for data that is not there.  A fix is
available in a later release.  "

Why this didn't show up when we were running the app under Citrix, I
dunno. I suspect that it is because this newer version of Reader (v11
as opposed to v8) supports this signature feature, so we never noticed
the missing signature before, since v8 didn't look for it. That's just
a guess, of course.

I will be nice, and not wonder how they could have missed this issue
in the 5 weeks of testing the app under RDS they did, before we went
live on RDS ...

Anyway, so the majority of the slow performance (for me), was related
to the different way that Reader v11 handled this form, rather than
v8. Might have been nice for the vendor to issue a FYI when they saw
that v11 reacted differently to their form than earlier versions, but
whatever ..

SO: yes, I had (and still have, to an extent) problems with
environment config settings for RDS. But the majority of my
performance issues were due to a change in the way Reader handled this
one specific form.

Thanks for everything. I did learn a lot, especially about Loopback GPOs ...
//www.freelists.org/list/thin