[THIN] Re: Win 2012R@ RDS, Group Policy and folder redirection errors

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:19:25 -0400

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM,  <kz20fl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So the users will log on to file servers, as in generate a profile and
> desktop? Or just access files on them?

I mis-spoke. They will not log onto the servers, they will just access
files on them. They will log onto only their own PCs. (and those users
who need the RDS RemoteApps will be logging into the RDS servers, I
guess).

> If it could be any user, then don't bother with the security filtering. The
> policy will only apply when they log on to servers in that OU.
>
> Personally I'd put RDS servers in their own OU, as a matter of course. Makes
> things like these so much easier.
>
> Redirection will only apply when a user actually logs on - so unless you've
> got apps published on the file servers, the policy shouldn't apply when a
> user accesses those.

That's the only thing these servers do - publish RemoteApps. There are
no virtual desktops. But even running a RemoteApp generates a logon (I
see it happen).

So isn't running a RemoteApp the same as logging onto the RDS server?
And, if so, then I don't want redirection to happen. (does that mean
that all temp files, etc would be stored locally on the RDS servers?
That is what seems to be happening now)
//www.freelists.org/list/thin