[THIN] Win 2012R@ RDS, Group Policy and folder redirection errors

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:59:11 -0400

Here we use folder redirection for the users Desktop and "My Documents"
folders, to redirect to a network share. All well and good. Now we've
started to use RDS (using RemoteApp only, no full desktop). And I am seeing
Event ID 502 in the event logs of the session host.

< http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493506 >

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Desktop" to
"\\FileServer\users\example\Desktop".
 Redirection options=0x9000.
 The following error occurred: "Can't create folder
"\\FileServer\users\example\Desktop"".
 Error details: "Access is denied.
".

Now, the user "example" already has a redirected "Desktop" folder on
"FileServer", so the above message makes perfect sense, I guess. But this
means that the RDS server is creating profile directories for every user on
it's local C: drive.

What do I need to do to correct this? I guess that the server needs to have
a profile structure of the user to create temp files, etc.

But how do I tell the GPO not to try and redirect, if this is a virtual
session? I'm assuming it has to do with those "Redirection options", but I
haven't been able to find out what they mean, where I change them, and what
I need to change them to ...

Or is there some other to resolve this type of error on an RDS server?