[THIN] Where do I start (was: Try and explain this one to *your* boss)

  • From: "Jeremy Thomas" <jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:09:12 +0200

Hi Mick,

The first thing I'd suggest is don't do all this yourself - get an
expert in.

You need to look at number of users, LAN and WAN design, application
requirements and performance, printing requirements, etc. Then you can
start to work out if Srver Based Computing is the correct solution, and
if so, do you need Citrix, plain TS, or might something else do the job
more cost effectively. Server sizing is just a detail that comes ofter
that.

OK. Back to your original question.
Dual + 2Gb RAM + 10k HDD is fine, but it worries me that you're not
being specific enough - normally, I'd at least expect the processor type
to be specified in a request like this... Don't be surprised if your
testing shows you need more RAM, and make sure you pile users on the
test server until you can work out what you user limit is.

Brian Madden has written an excellent book on designing Citrix
environments:
http://www.brianmadden.com/books/