[THIN] Re: Web Interface - login process

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:21:30 -0000

You don't need to open up ports from the WI server to AD to perform
authentication. The WI server doesn't do user authentication - there's a
slidedeck here -
www.citrixevents.com/.../dynamic/presentations/3105%20SecuringMonitoringNetw
orkTrafficwithinCAS_Final_v2.ppt that gives a graphical view of the
authentication process.

User credentials are passed from the WI server to the IMA Service running on
your Citrix servers via the XML Broker in order for the IMA service to
authenticate the user and get their list of available applications. When the
user wants to launch a published app, the user's ica file is populated with
their ticket information (obtained from an STA) which allows them to log on.

So, technically - you *could* just use 80 and 1494, although if you want to
use session reliability you'll need to add in 2598.

Obviously, that's not very secure.

Ideally you've enabled https for the page submitting the user's credentials
(otherwise your network passwords are wandering over the internet in plain
sight), and you're at least encrypting the XML service from the WI to the
Citrix servers by using https.

Raw and out of the box, once the user launches an app they are communicating
with the Citrix server on 1494 (by default); its 1494 from the client to the
citrix server(s) for all the citrix clients, including java. 1494 might not
be open at the client end, and isn't encrypted either: a straightforward way
to secure that communication would be to have CSG to secure ICA
communication to the user by encapsulating it in an SSL tunnel.

There is a useful tcp port check document on doug brown's site -
http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=1755

Hth.