[THIN] Re: Web Browsers

  • From: "Trevor Fuson" <fuson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:15:25 -0700

I have to agree, Firebird is really the best browser for Terminal
Services.

Here is why:

1.      It is a very tight browser, it has excellent performance.
2.      It doesn't have the broad spectrum of vulnerabilities that IE
has.
3.      The 250MS draw delay saves bandwidth and increases end user
responsiveness.  By contrast IE renders the page dynamically, or you can
change it to render the page in the background.  Unfortunately IE draw
in background results in the end users waiting for a long time for pages
to display.
4.      Tabbed browsing and popup blocking built-in.
5.      Customizable UI. You can remove any visual element, such as a
menu item, by editing the browser.xul file.  This file is contained in
the zip file named browser.jar.
6.      The control panel is extremely simple and easy to use for end
users, there are not unnecessary item in the control panel to confuse
them. Administrators can customize the browsers 500+ configuration
options by typing about:config in the address bar.

Firefox is nicer than Mozilla as well because the salting for the
profile directory is easier to handle.

Mozilla uses a binary file in C:\Documents and
Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Mozilla called registry.dat to
specify the location of the user profile.  This binary file stores the
full path to the profile information, meaning the username changes an
you need some way to modify the path in the binary file.

Firefox uses a plain text .ini file, C:\Documents and
Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profile.ini.  The
path in the ini file is relative.  This means that the changes you make
in the profile in the default user account works properly for all users
in the terminal server.  Not to mention it is much easier editing the
profile file.